Good to know
What is cinefile?
Cinefile is a movie site that combines all relevant information about the entire Swiss cinema programme with a curated streaming offer and bonus material on all important films, to be precise:
- CINEMA: The complete cinema programme of Switzerland, with summaries, trailers, ratings and short reviews in German, French and English, arranged or filtered according to your preferences. You can save all films you are interested in in your personal watchlist and sort them according to various criteria.
- STREAMING: A selection of the best new cinema films for pay per view, continuously supplemented by reprises and classics, all in HD and original version with freely selectable subtitles, partly also in German or French dubbed version.
- BONUS: Meetings, video essays, live interviews, portraits of all streaming and many cinema films. And above all: thousands of trouvaillas from the worldwide network of cinefiles.
Who runs cinefile?
Cinefile is a limited liability company based in Zurich, which was established by the former film journalist and cinema operator Andreas Furler as from 2016. It went live in June 2018.
The small cinefile team consists of afficionados/as from the fields of film journalism, film science, marketing and is geographically at home in Switzerland, Germany and France.
Who will cinefile reach?
Cinefile is a practical, free and advertising-financed service for all people who like to go to the cinema and are looking for practical tools to quickly choose a film.
Our streaming library focuses on international and national arthouse cinema and is highly selective: we separate the wheat from the chaff and only publish what we think is worth seeing, whether arthouse or mainstream, classic or the latest indie cinema. The films are currently only available for pay per view, but we are working intensively on a flat rate offer. (More about this at the question "What is in development at cinefile?")
The bonus material for the individual films mixes videos and texts and is aimed at people who want to broaden their view before or after the viewing experience in an entertaining way. It gathers critiques, interviews, portraits and essays that offer deepening, enriching and controversial approaches. As this service is expensive, the bonus material is reserved for our paying subscribers.
What's the point if I subscribe to cinefile?
The basic registration at cinefile is free of charge and guarantees that your personal settings including your persoal watchlist are always up-to-date on all devices. The subscription (CHF 6.- per month) keeps cinefile free of advertising, offers access to bonus material and discounts on individual art house chains and events. You can find the comparative service overview here.
Is there a newsletter?
Yes, it contains weekly tips on current cinema and streaming premieres as well as news on cinema events and cinefile. If you register with cinefile as a subscriber, you will automatically receive the newsletter, but you can, of course, unsubscribe.
On which devices can I use cinefile and watch cinefile movies?
You can use cinefile with all common devices and browsers, the website automatically recognizes desktop computers and laptops, tablets and smartphones and offers a correspondingly optimized responsive design.
Cinefile movies can be streamed with all common devices and browsers as well.
For smartphones, we recommend downloading our free apps from Apple's App Store or Google's Play Store and streaming movies wirelessly to your TV using Google Chromecast or the Apple TV Box.
Is cinefile also available as an app?
Yes, the version for Android devices like Samsung and Huawei is already available in the Google Playstore; the iPhone app will be ready by mid-September 2019.
How can I watch rented films?
You must be online to stream cinefile movies.
You can watch our streaming movies with all popular browsers on all popular desktop and laptop computers, tablets and smartphones. Connect your laptop with an HDMI cable to the corresponding socket of your TV set. The wirelss conncetion with teh Apple TV box or Googel Chromecast is more convenient, though, and nowadays often results in better picture quality. In the the tow sections below we tell you how it works:
Apple TV for Apple devices
- Connect your Apple TV box to your TV with an HDMI cable.
- Make sure that the box is registered in the same WiFi network as the Apple device (laptop, iPhone or iPad) that you use to stream cinefile movies. Only use the Safari browser.
In your cinefile browser window, click on the AirPlay icon in the lower right corner. Ready!
Attention: With the audio symbol and hte cc symbols you can select the available language and subtitle versions at any time. To end the transfer, click the Air Play icon again.
Google Chromecast for Windows and Android devices
- Connect your Chromecast plug to the TV with an HDMI cable.
- Make sure Chromecast is connected to the same WLAN network as your laptop, tablet or smartphone that you use to stream cinefile movies. Only use the Chrome-Browser.
- In your cinefile browser window, click on the Chromecast symbol in the lower right corner and select your Chromecast connector under the name you have defined. Ready!
Note: Previously selected language version and subtitles may be lost when activating the transmission and may have to be reactivated on your laptop, tablet or smartphone. You can change available language versions and subtitles at any time. To end the transfer, click the Chromecast icon again.
"What's in development at cinefile?"
Flat rate streaming: We are currently working intensively on a streaming flat rate subscription for a limited number of films that are constantly renewed. The corresponding offer will start November 6th . The previous streaming films for individual rental (pay-per-view) will continue to be offered without restriction.To the free registration